{ illuma·blogspot·com }

Sunday, January 26, 2014

••◊ Fail Harder.

I was at the ASC open house event in Hollywood yesterday.  Most of the big players in film photography were there; Dean Cundley (Back to the Future series), Daniel Pearl (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Owen Roizman (The French Connection), Phedon Papamicheal (The Monuments Men), Shane Hurlbut (Need for Speed), Jeff Crownenweth (The Social Network), Bill Bennett (...just about every car commercial made now days), Caleb Deschanel (The Right Stuff - and his daughter Zoe!), and many more.  I even sat down with Isidore Minkofsky (The Muppet Movie) for a bit...and frankly if I had known he shot The Muppet Movie I would probably have completely geeked out!

I was talking with another person at the event that was looking to get more into filmmaking.  My advice to him was to fail harder.  Later that evening I met some friends at LA Live for dinner and as I was walking back, trying to avoid any accidental security violations at the Grammys, I thought to myself why aren't I failing harder?  Last year I made a commitment to learn more about lighting and camera work.  It's time for me to put that knowledge to work and take more risks.  In order to move to the next level I need to fail more often, otherwise I'm living in this safe zone bubble and my work will never progress.

So this year my goal is to fail harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only comments that DO NOT include links will be allowed. Any comments that include product advertisements will be deleted. Other than that, thanks for stopping by and I appreciate you taking the time to write a comment.