{ illuma·blogspot·com }

Sunday, January 13, 2013

••◊ Daylight Color

I was coming in through my garage the other day when I noticed the golden yellow of sunlight on the wall. I thought about how sunlight looks throughout the day and what, in theory, it should look like if I have to re-create it.

So today I measured a neutral gray chart with my camera white balance set to 5500k. You can see the early morning blue before the sun comes up in the first two patches. This is the sun reflecting off the atmosphere. Then the golden low angle sun comes up in the morning at 8am and sets at 4:30pm. Mid-day remains more consistent than I was expecting. I thought mid-day would go more blue because mid-day sun is typically rated at 6500K.

Doing my homework, I found that the color of outdoor light depends on not only the time of day, but the latitude and the time of year - Really, it all comes down to angle of the sun in the sky. Here's the result of my little experiment from 7am to 5pm.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Only comments that DO NOT include links will be allowed. Any comments that include product advertisements will be deleted. Other than that, thanks for stopping by and I appreciate you taking the time to write a comment.