{ illuma·blogspot·com }

Saturday, December 29, 2012

••◊ Catching up with Christmas in Seattle, part 1

Well...mom did it again this year. She convinced me to come up to Seattle for the holidays - so fly I did.  The day started out with a rather early 4am beep, beep, beep of my alarm going off.  That, followed by some grumbling of "what the hell was I thinking taking an 8am flight on Christmas Eve?"  I was expecting a full on wrestling match inspired by the WWE at the airport with people lined up from Lindbergh all the way back to the embarcadero downtown - Police pepper spraying line cutters - The TSA out with tasers in hand...  As it turned out the airport was quite empty at that hour and I basically walked right up to the gate (note to self for next year).  Alaska had a full flight, so they asked for volunteers for checked baggage.  No $20 fee?...sounds good to me.  The only glitch I noticed is a BSOD Windows computer at the gate (see photo below).




After arriving in Washington I spend the majority of the day with my Aunt.  Keeping with tradition, we had to see a movie at Christmas time.  Hitchcock was playing at the local theater so we settled on joining the other dozen or so wayward Chistmas escapees.  I read about the film in the journal of the ASC before I left.  The movie was helmed by a first time director, but lens'ed by Jeff Cronenweth, best known for his work with David Fincher (The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...etc).  It's a neat little film.  Worth seeing on a rainy weekend day.

After our new tradition (Indian food on Christmas Eve) we all hopped in a rented van and headed out for Xmas light viewing.  By this time my back was killing me from sitting all day and I had an exhaustion/stress headache, so you'll have to pardon my lack of enthusiasm.  We stopped at a house in West Seattle that runs a light show and features its own radio station to support charity.  I had to supply a couple pictures here to show the house in various states of lighting.  The best part was a rendition of "I AM SANTA CLAUS!" sang over the melody of Black Sabbath's "Ironman."  Yes, that really happened.




Next up was a quick jaunt across town to Kerry Park for a full downtown Seattle view.


Not being a big Christmas fan, that's all you're getting out of me about Christmas.  No one wants to see family Christmas photos anyway.  I didn't take any.

On Thursday my mom and I went park hopping with the first stop at Volunteer Park up on Capitol Hill.  In all my years living in Seattle and the bicycle racing I did at Volunteer Park I never really took the time to notice the park itself.  They have a nature conservatory green house there.  When I first walked in my glasses immediately fogged up from the transition of 40-something to 60-70-something degrees with humidity.  As you can see below, I took a few photos of the various flora, ferns, and cactus.  I'm not a nature photographer, so you're just going to have to forgive the lack of imaginative photography.








I'll cover more of the trip in part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only comments that DO NOT include links will be allowed. Any comments that include product advertisements will be deleted. Other than that, thanks for stopping by and I appreciate you taking the time to write a comment.