{ illuma·blogspot·com }

Monday, April 30, 2012

••◊ Conversion of 5D mark II footage to 25P PAL

It's not too often that I really think about 25P; you know, that frame rate they use across the pond.  My world mainly consists of 23.976 frames/second video.  However I was recently contacted by the UK distributor Community Channel to broadcast Stronger on TV and on-demand.  The problem here, mainly being technical.  I had experience converting the older 5D mark II footage from 30P to 23.976P, as you can read in the blog post here.  However, they were asking for PAL!  I only deal with rec.709 and sRGB here in the US.  How was I supposed to deal with the PAL color space without renting an insanely expensive broadcast monitor and buying a expensive solution to stream it out of my PC?

The answer was less complex than I thought.


WP
Rx
Ry
Gx
Gy
Bx
By
Gamma
sRGB
D65
0.64
0.33
0.3
0.6
0.15
0.06
2.4
Rec.709
D65
0.64
0.33
0.3
0.6
0.15
0.06
2.22
PAL
D65
0.64
0.33
0.3
0.6
0.15
0.06
2.8

Given this information, all three color spaces share the same white point and RGB color coordinates.  Yeah!  However, the gamma is quite significantly different.  This is where some practical research comes into play.  A significant number of industry people suggest that the real world transfer function for PAL displays is around 2.2-2.5.  So really, my home computer that has a monitor calibrated to sRGB is also likely close enough for working with PAL footage.  Double yeah!  Hopefully that holds true since I have no way to see the end broadcast result.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only comments that DO NOT include links will be allowed. Any comments that include product advertisements will be deleted. Other than that, thanks for stopping by and I appreciate you taking the time to write a comment.