{ illuma·blogspot·com }

Sunday, January 23, 2011

••◊ "Stronger" Bodybuilding Documentary - The Director's Cut

I shot a documentary about a bodybuilder in October of 2009, then started editing as time allowed in December in hopes to make the deadline for the Seattle International Film Festival. Foolish as I was, I produced a product that I never really felt was complete. It was 23 minutes, no music or polish, but told a respectably compelling story of David Patterson, a bodybuilder who's been to the rodeo more than a few times.

So over the holiday break in December 2010 I decided to revisit the footage. A year of learning and perspective is a good thing in this case. Sometimes you can go back and do things differently. The SIFF deadline has come and gone, but that's OK. I finally produced the film I intended to.

So what changed? It's just over half the initial length, re-edited, music and color correction added, converted to 24p, and given a more compelling story. The dialog has been (mostly) fixed. What I wish I had back then is some of the simple film making equipment I have now, like a follow focus and field monitor, along with a steadicam and shoulder rig. I'm also more aware of audio quality now, but that's always a struggle when you're trying to be a one man band

Overall, it's a feeling of slight redemption. I present "Stronger - the director's cut."




Click on the image above to be taken to Vimeo to view the film in HD!

1 comment:

Muscle Building said...

The documentary which you have made would be read my many people and that would greatly affect he life of many persons. Such that they will get in touch with body building.

Post a Comment

Only comments that DO NOT include links will be allowed. Any comments that include product advertisements will be deleted. Other than that, thanks for stopping by and I appreciate you taking the time to write a comment.