{ illuma·blogspot·com }

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

••◊ What is a Bgirl?

Between the trials of headaches, sleeping, excreting wildly imaginative colors of mucus, and otherwise just feeling ill this last weekend I managed to finish up another short documentary. This one is plainly titled "What is a Bgirl?" The idea came up when I was having a late lunch with my former high school classmate Amy in the Koreatown section of Los Angeles late last summer. She runs a dance company call Antics Performance and refers to herself as a Bgirl. My first inclination upon hearing this was to think about b-movies, however there's absolutely no relation.

A Bgirl, also known as a "break girl," refers to the New York dance style commonly known as break dancing (it's technically supposed to be called b-boying). For those less than 30 years old, this was a dance style that hit critical mass in the early eighties - you know, back when hip-hop was referred to as rap music and MTV was in a basement somewhere in New York with JJ, Nina, Mark, Alan, and Martha. Then again, maybe you don't know.

We shot the documentary in one long day in Amy's loft near downtown LA. She invited over some of her favorite girls from the cypher (dance circle). They included "Asia-One," "Chronic," "L-boogie," and "Peppa (the Hot Steppa)." One thing you quickly learn is that Bgirls are no cream puff types from male chauvinistic hip hop music videos. These "girls" are built and you don't mess with them. However, there's no need to mess with them. Bgirl-ing is about extended families and relationships as much as dance.

We shot the video using my Canon 5D mark II and Clarence's Pentax K-7. We needed a b-cam and in the absence of another 5D I asked him to try his K-7. I had the a-cam shots, so I figured there was no loss in giving it a go. A couple things about the K-7 in video mode...It has nasty rolling shutter artifacts, so don't move the camera or the picture will shake like a bowl of jelly. It only records in 1280x720 30fps which, as Canon took some time to learn, needs to be upgraded. The codec they use is also heavily compressed, so the picture quality was only good for cut-aways. I can't recommend mixing these two cameras unless you have to.

The shoot also gave me a chance to try out my new audio work flow, talked about in the previous post. The only issue I had in post was that L-boogie was a low talker, so even though I boosted up the gain on the lavs her audio was noticeably more noisy than others. Other than that, it worked like a charm and I recorded excellent audio straight to camera. I also used Amy's Rode video mic which worked well enough for ambient low quality recordings.

So...the film...yeah that...Click on the picture below to be taken to the Bgirl short film.


Click Here to View The Video Titled: What is a Bgirl?

These girls kick serious boo-tay, don't you think?

1 comment:

Miss Lil'P said...

Dope video! It also gives a big positive impact for BGIRLS scene itself! I'm so pleasure to share your good work! Peace.

Post a Comment

Only comments that DO NOT include links will be allowed. Any comments that include product advertisements will be deleted. Other than that, thanks for stopping by and I appreciate you taking the time to write a comment.