{ illuma·blogspot·com }

Friday, January 15, 2010

••◊ DVD jackets on the cheap

Continuing on with the DVD theme...I thought I was going to have to send a copy of a film out to a film festival this week. As it turns out they now accept submissions via online video uploads further eroding the need for little silver disks. As many filmmakers will point out, burning a DVD for a film festival is a roll of the dice. A lot of the time home consumer DVD players won't recognize the disks, which is a huge weak link in the chain when you consider how much time, money, and effort it took to get to that point. I'm getting a little off track here, so back to the point.

Since I thought I was going to have to create a DVD I went about it in the most practical (i.e. frugal) way possible. A while back I found some DVD jackets in a give away pile of junk...treasure! I knew I would make use of them some day. This week they became "my precious." Jacket=$0.




The next step was obviously creating a jacket insert for the title. No problem here either. I had some HP Everyday Photo Paper laying around left over from a previous project. It's the el-cheapo of the photo paper world and about $0.10/sheet at retail. I took a measurement and found that the art needed to be 272x184 mm. No problem, that fits on one sheet of 8.5x11 inch paper with borderless printing. Create the artwork in Photo shop and viola - DVD jacket artwork. The only trick I found is that consumer printers don't hold dimensioning well. I had to trim a few millimeters off each end of the jacket art because the printer was printing about 1% larger than intended. So lesson learned, leave room in the artwork for trimming; sort of like picture safe and title safe zones in video. Jacket art = $0




Then it was on to the DVD itself. I used a printable DVD-R disk and my HP C5280 printer to print straight onto the disk. The printer comes with a little tray that feeds into the print mech as well as the software to do the print job. Stack of DVD disks = $20...but I can use them for other stuff anyway.




Isn't the democratization of technology grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only comments that DO NOT include links will be allowed. Any comments that include product advertisements will be deleted. Other than that, thanks for stopping by and I appreciate you taking the time to write a comment.