{ illuma·blogspot·com }

Friday, July 24, 2009

••◊ I think I wore out my scanner.

Welcome to my dissertation on world peace, or at least it might have taken an equivalent effort. For the last six months I have been patiently waiting beside a film and/or photo scanner to archive family photos. So what's the body count? 192 film-negatives, 362 printed photos, and 228 slides scanned; and this was *after* removing the redundant, inconsequential, and bad pictures. Thank goodness for digital cameras and cheap storage.

I thought it might be nice to compile a list of my favorite photos from the bunch. This series will probably seem pretty long, but it's just a random glance at the highlights. First let's start with me. I'll spare my friends from my baby "clothing optional" pictures...you know, to keep this safe for work. The first photo I like because I was an audio-centric person growing up. I once sent a copy of this picture to my mom with the caption "Some people believe in destiny. I like to think I found my own way." The second picture...well, I just like it. Awesomely posed if I do say so myself, however I should have moved a little to the right to capture more facial highlight. What do you expect? I was like three.


Next up out of the pool is a rather random entry of my Aunt Bertie. The color, the stare, the subtle hand at the left of the frame that she is turning away from - You have to pay big bucks for a model to look this sad in a photo now days.


There are a few classic portraits of grandma (Elsie) and grandpa (Ed) in their earlier years. All my life I grew up with my grandma having short hair, but I personally think she looked better here. My grandpa was an ambulance driver in Japan in world war two, so I felt like this shot really captured a time, purpose, and place well.

Then there's mom. I thought the concept of a "free burro ride" at Fairyland really captured a time and place again. Funny, I've never seen her ride an animal since. Hmmm.... I also had to throw in a picture in from mom's younger years sans rug-rat (i.e. me).

Then, and most importantly, there's mom and I. I'll probably get ousted from her will for showing her in a swimsuit on my blog, but it wouldn't be the first reason. Here's mom and I, probably on Oahu circa the late seventies. Then there's mom and I in the backyard probably in Beaverton Oregon. Notice that she has bare feet outdoors, tracking in dirt onto the inside carpet. ...and she gave *me* a hard time about bringing dirt indoors. "Girl dirt" must be OK.



Off to the bicycle races tomorrow. Probably won't make it to the Strobist meeting this month.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Great picture of your Mom on the deck! I'd like to see you recreate a similar photograph with lighting and angles. This photograph turned out terrific!

Goes.2.Eleven said...

I think I might greviously injure my mom if we recreated this photo today.

Post a Comment

Only comments that DO NOT include links will be allowed. Any comments that include product advertisements will be deleted. Other than that, thanks for stopping by and I appreciate you taking the time to write a comment.