{ illuma·blogspot·com }

Saturday, January 10, 2009

••◊ Photo Fundraiser Event



I'm going to take this opportunity to diverge from my usual dissertation on techniques of photography and talk about something more important. Two years back my mom walked the 3-day event for the Susan G. Komen foundation. For those who don't know, the Komen foundation was founded to fund breast cancer research, provide education on prevention, and to assist those who can't afford care. One in eight women will get breast cancer in her lifetime, so we all probably know someone who has been effected or is no longer with us because of this disease.

What I witnessed at the start and end of the walk was both hopeful and sad. The reason that thousands of women (and men) participate in this fundraiser isn't because they are celebrating a cure. Of course, at the beginning of the event the organizer had to give an obligatory over the top melodramatic speech, but it really wasn't needed. These women were pumped before they were coralled into the holding pen at the Del Mar fairgrounds. It was a sea of pink that would make both the owners of Victoria's Secret and Barbie combined jealous. This was also a chance for me to play with the brand new (at the time) Canon 40D...just to tie it into my blog.

So I decided to make this my cause and on February 4th in downtown San Diego I have organized a silent auction of photographic art benefiting the Komen foundation. I was able to gather over 40-pieces of art from my connections with the San Diego Photography Meetup Group. In fact, just yesterday I received an email from a professional photographer in Germany that wanted to donate and I'm helping her get the prints done here in the U.S. A few of my photos from Italy will be in the group. The Morrison Hotel Gallery in La Jolla is donating a Henry Diltz gallery print of Crosby, Stills, and Nash - and they did so out of the blue. Big thanks go to Gail Donnelly and Rich Horowitz at the gallery.

Overall, the event should be a lot of fun. Hennessey's in the gaslamp district provided the space for us for free and Brooklyn, Lisa Sanders, Brenda Xu, Austin Jennings, Jesse LaMonaca, and Sven-Erik Seaholm are providing the soundtrack. There's no cover charge, so even if you're not in the mood to buy it's always nice to have more supporters around. Look for me with the pink ribbon on my shirt.

Sometimes if you want to change your world you just have to do it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only comments that DO NOT include links will be allowed. Any comments that include product advertisements will be deleted. Other than that, thanks for stopping by and I appreciate you taking the time to write a comment.