{ illuma·blogspot·com }

Saturday, June 18, 2016

I began making 3D CAD for the LED light this last week.  It's slow going because I'm a newbie at mechanical CAD, but I'm slowly getting there.  In the photo above you can see the six bulb PCB's, a (unfinished) heat sink, and four fans for the assembly. 

The heat sink and fan vendors didn't have mechanical CAD publicly available for their parts so I'm having to make the parts myself.  I want to go as far as defining the entire bulb and cooling system in CAD, then leave the rest for the next phase of the project - which is the housing.

It's fun learning something new.  Now I can say that I'm a triple threat at work.  I design electronics, write firmware, now design mechanical parts.  I used to have to do this on engineering paper and an Excel spreadsheet, but installation of new CAM machines at work forced me into the modern age.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

••◊ Dom's Emmy Win!

I finally received a picture of Dom's Emmy win from last night.  He won for the Lomics app commercial, which I helped him color correct.  I'm not directly saying the color correction clinched the win, but... 

Congratulations on your award.  Now I can say that I work closely with an Emmy award winning director.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

••◊ How To Exposure Your Camera For Log Gamma (part 3)

Dom and I are back in action after a six month hiatus.  In this short tutorial we explain how to set your camera's exposure while using log gamma, or specifically Slog-3 on an FS-7.  It's short and simple, but gets the point across.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

••◊ Let There Be Light! (DIY LED light update)

I built up the first prototype bulb today on the DIY LED light project.  It was a complete pain because the LEDs have a thermal pad underneath the package and I had to use a heat gun on each one to solder them down.  At least all the LEDs are lit and working as intended.

The picture below shows the LEDs lit at 10% power.  If I crank them all the way up there's no way to take a picture without the rest of the electronics going completely to black.  I also haven't built any of the necessary heat sinks for the bulbs yet, so I'm hesitant to crank up the power to 100% for more than a few seconds.  In the final design there will be six bulbs, which should yield a useful amount of light for video.

The heat sink design is my next endeavor.  I've been learning mechanical CAD so I can do a proper CAM job and produce nice looking heat sinks.  The bulb design incorporates a digital thermometer so I can monitor the LED temperature.  Hopefully this weekend I'll get firmware for that feature up and running.

It's getting there SLOWLY, but slow is OK.  This is just a hobby project and I already have thoughts about version 2.

UPDATE : I have the thermometer running (woo hoo!).  The bulb gets hot pretty quick without a heat sink.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

••◊ Another LED light update

This last week I've added a number of significant upgrades to my LED light project.  It now has a dedicated power supply and thermal management system.  The fan controller board just came in and I was able to build it up quickly.  Now I just have to add some code to get PWM control over the fans.

One nice thing is that I was able to find some affordable, almost silent fans.  Even with all four of them on at full blast there was barely a whisper.  The first ones I bought could compete with a lot of small kitchen electronic appliances; noise wise.  They had to go.

The power supply only handles up to 200W, but for my initial prototype purposes that shouldn't be an issue.  The LEDs I plan to use are fairly efficient.

After I have the fan firmware running, it's time to actually build the LED bulb.  This will take a little more effort since each bulb in the system will need a significant heat sink to keep the LEDs in their safe operating area.

More importantly...so far, no smoke!

EVENING UPDATE...  The fans are up and running with firmware.  That was quick!  All four fans are still very quiet at home and ramp up in speed nicely.  Now I'm going to be forced to actually work on the bulb design.

Monday, May 2, 2016

••◊ LED Light Update

The LED Light is slowly progressing.  I finally fired up actual LED's today at full power and blinded a few people in the office at lunch time.  It's been a good experience so far.  I've only destroyed one component and that was because of an incorrect solder job.

The photos below show both the system and the illuminated blue LED's.  I actually had to turn the exposure compensation down on the camera 2 stops just to take a picture, otherwise the lens would be completely flared out.

The next step is to make a "bulb", or multiple strings of LED's since each driver board can drive up to 8 strings of LEDs.  Depending on how I wire it I can have either an RGB light, or a remote phosphor "pump" (i.e. just a bunch of blue LED's with a phosphor panel in front of them).  If I designed my own custom LED panel I could also make a "white" LED array or a bi-color array.  It's all about firmware now.  At the moment I'm "recycling" from a stash of old scanner LED's that we had sitting around the office collecting dust - which makes things a bit less expensive for experimentation.

The cool thing is that I can also have up to seven driver boards.  That's 56 strings of high power LED's!  My end goal was to create a light in the 500W to 1kW range since most LED lights I deal with seem to be quite wimpy.  I want something I can use in a daylight lit room.  What you see below is just the very dim start of things to come.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

••◊ Big Bear Lake

I was assisting on a shoot up in Big Bear yesterday.  We were freezing our tails off at 8am next to Big Bear Lake when I decided to take out a camera and shoot a quick panorama of the sun just coming up onto the lake.  I always feel at home in the mountains, so hopefully I'll go back one day.  Click the picture to see the entire panorama.